Missouri Silver Haired Legislature Makes Silver Alert a Top Priority for Next Session
The Missouri Silver Haired Legislature endorsed Silver Alert legislation as one of its high-priority items for the next session of the Missouri General Assembly. Many states have Silver Haired Legislatures, which bring together delegates chosen by seniors to represent their interests to their states’ governing bodies. The Missouri Silver Haired Legislature held its 38th annual session Sept. 19-21 in Jefferson City.
From the article in the Columbia Missourian, the five priority bills for the Missouri Silver Haired Legislature are:
- Increasing and restoring funding for meal programs that benefit seniors
- Creating a Silver Alert system to locate missing seniors, especially those with Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- Raising the asset level for Missouri HealthNet beneficiaries.
- Limiting interest rates and prohibiting renewals for payday loans.
- Improving the process of criminal background checks for long-term care worke